Monday 23 June 2014

A brief introduction to the graffiti of Margate

I love many things about Margate. One of these things is the graffiti. I am collecting them either in photos or just writing them down. This is my new hobby.

Lots of it is the usual stuff; teenage declarations of love like “Kai 4 Sashy”, so-and-so hearts so-and-so. Lots of those. “Devon loves Niall” at first seemed to be a normal one until I noticed the swastika beside it.

There are some romantic and mysterious equations like "ARSE + TITS" (unfortunately no = so we’ll never know...) and this one, which has to be shown as a photo to be fully appreciated (but not understood, at least not by me...I think/ hope it's a positive message though):


Some graffiti is a bit indecisive; “Hi or hey”.

Then there are the really profound ones: “DAZZER IS A MONKEYCOCK. X” (the kiss after is a nice touch); “Children have the right to say no to war”; “What if the hockey cockey is what it’s all about?” (I like the spelling on that one) and “I am broken.” Quite poignant that last one.

But my favourite so far is some anti-Terry-Wogan graffiti; “Terry Wogan got paid £10000 every year for Children In Need. Greedy pig.” Of all the old BBC presenters to attack, it seems a strange choice...

2 comments:

  1. When I lived in Bromley about 20 years ago somebody wrote the word 'pastie' on my front door, Bromley is not in Margate.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. This can only be John Lynn yes?!

    ReplyDelete